Links to other information on the area
The Lake District (in the County of Cumbria) and the Yorkshire Dales (which despite their name are partly in Cumbria) are rugged uplands in the north of England. Both areas are national parks on account of their outstanding landscapes and opportunities for open-air recreation. The Lake District contains England's highest mountain (Scafell Pike, 3210' or 977 metres) and largest lake (Windermere).
The site links on this page are not personal recommendations and are not necessarily up to date.
The Lake District
For more information about the Lake District National Park go to www.lake-district.gov.uk.
The Yorkshire Dales
For more information about the Yorkshire Dales National Park go to www.yorkshiredales.org.uk.
Tourist Attractions and Services
For information about tourist attractions and services in Cumbria generally, go to www.cumbria-the-lake-district.co.uk.
Bed and Breakfast Accommodation
- Magic Hills House, 123 Appleby Road, Kendal, LA9 6HF. Walker friendly B&B accommodation on outskirts of Kendal, hosts Christine and Richard, www.magic-hills.co.uk. Tel. 01539 736248.
- Number 5, High Street House, Windermere LA23 1AF. Walker friendly B&B accommodation near Windermere Station. Hosts Debbie and Paul, www.highstreethousewindermere.co.uk. Tel. 015394 46930.
- Lake View Country House, Lake View Drive, Grasmere LA22 9TD. Walker friendly B&B and self catering apartments. Hosts Stephen and Michelle, www.lakeview-grasmere.com. Tel.015394 35384
- Larry's Lodge, 39 Eskin Street, Keswick CA12 4DG. Walker friendly bed and breakfast accommodation not far from town centre. Hosts Sue and Dave, www.larryslodge.co.uk. Tel.017687 73965.
- Dunmail House, Keswick Road, Grasmere LA22 9RE. Walker friendly B&B accommodation. Packed lunches available. Hosts Tony and Shirley, www.dunmailhouse.com. Tel.015394 35256
- Lyndhurst Guest House, 8 South Road, Kendal LA9 5QH. A walker friendly guest house on the south side of Kendal. Hosts Stuart and Yvonne, www.lyndhurst-kendal.co.uk. Tel.01539 723819
- Allerdale House, 1 Eskin Street, Keswick CA12 4DH. Walker friendly bed and breakfast accommodation not far from town centre. Drying room. Cycle storage. Hosts Tony and Helen, www.allerdale-house.co.uk. Tel.017687 73891
- The Archway Guest House, 13 College Road, Windermere LA23 1BU. Walker friendly accommodation in central Windermere, close to station. Host, Jennifer Bradbury, www.archwaywindermere.co.uk. Tel.015394 45613
- Orrest Cottage, 17 Church Street Windermere, LA23 1AQ. Walker friendly B&B close to station and path to Orrest Head viewpoint. Host Judy, www.orrestcottage.co.uk. Tel. 015394 88722, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Balcony House, 82 Shap Road, Kendal LA9 6DP. A walker friendly guest house on the northern side of Kendal. Hosts Mandy and Brian., www.Balconyhouse.co.uk. Tel. 01539 731402
- May Cottage B&B, Kendal Road, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3EW. Walker friendly bed and breakfast in southern Lake District. Hosts Sue and Len, www.maycottagebowness.co.uk. Tel. 015394 46478.
- Thorny Bank House, Skelmergh, Kendal LA8 9AW. Walker friendly B&B in quiet countryside 3 miles north of Kendal. Hosts Sue and John, www.thornybankhouse.co.uk. Tel. 01539 823671.
For up to date travel information visit www.traveline.org.uk.
About a quarter of the Lake District is owned and managed by the National Trust, a national conservation charity founded in the 1895. See www.nationaltrust.org.uk.
You can help with practical conservation work in the Lake District on a daily basis with the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers, www.btcv.org, Central Lakes group office phone 01539 742612. No previous experience is needed.
In addition to an extensive public path network ,there is "open access", giving a "right to roam" on foot, to 59% of the Lake District. However, there are some restrictions, for example regarding dogs, and temporary closures are permitted. For more information see www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk.
Recent Additions and Other Links
- The chocolate brownies at Wilf's Cafe, Staveley, are highly recommended! See www.wilfs-cafe.co.uk.
- Friends of the Lake District, a charity that exists to promote the conservation of the landscape and natural beauty of the Lake District and Cumbria. For membership and other information see www.fld.org.uk
- English Lakes - a comprehensive on-line guide to the Lake District, containing sections on the lakes, mountains, towns, villages, visitor attractions and more. See www.english-lakes.com
- Jon Allison's stunning collection of prints and posters of Lake District mountain scenes is available to by on line at: www.lakedistrictlandscapes.co.uk
- Bestwalks - the price comparison site for books and maps on walking throughout the UK plus accommodation and outdoor gear, at www.bestwalks.com
- www.visittheyorkshiredales.co.uk - a new website providing information on acommodation, activities and attractions in the Yorkshire Dales